Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Apple Pie

So this is pretty random.  My oldest boy (not quite 3) woke up asking "2 oatmeals mom?" and so I made him some apple cinnamon oatmeal. Our favorite. And I have been craving apple pie ALL day.  Which got me to thinking I should tell you about my favorite recipe for apple pie.

It is not just any apple pie. It is Apple Caramel Pecan Pie...you must always remember I am from Georgia.
I don't have many pictures of them as they typically get cut into before I get around to taking a picture. Here is one I made this past Thanksgiving.
 
Mmm well I guess I will stop stalling and give you all the recipe...

First is the pie crust. I use the perfect homemade pie crust recipe, but you can use any you like or even one from the store. This calls for the pie shells to be unbaked.

1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped pecans
6 cups thinly sliced apples (I know there has to be a right apple/wrong apple for this. My sister says use a combo but I am horrible and usually just grab a bag of the best looking red apples...)
1/2-3/4 cup caramel (whatever recipe you want)

Preheat oven to 400. Stir sugar cornstarch and cinnamon together and toss with the apples in a mixing bowl. Pour the mixture into the first pie shell. Pour caramel and pecans on top of apple mixture. Place the second shell on top, cut shell to vent. Place in oven. Cook till golden brown crust. And let sit for about an hour after...if possible. Ours never sits that long. But it needs to if you are picky about how it cuts...

Here is a picture of the apple pie sliced.  Now would you look at that! Mmmm


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That looks so good! I want to make one purely for the fact that it would be like sinking my teeth into a slice of home. Georgia is always on my mind, especially after drooling over your tasty looking pie!

Samantha said...

Well I hope you enjoy it! I know we sure do! Let me know how it turns out, and feel free to post your pictures :-) I can't see myself anywhere but the south and I think this pie sure does a good job of capturing a little peice of it!